Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Porcupine Meatballs


Last night I found out my course was cancelled. There weren’t too many students who signed up for it. It was a good thing because my son was left outside waiting for his sister who babysat for a neighbor. He had a football practice and the two did not coordinate as to who was going to have the keys. My hubby was of course on afternoon shift. I did not bring the car to work and things really were not working the way they should. It is one of those days if you know what I mean.

I find that it is going to be like this until the first week of October when the dust settles. Right now, the kids are still trying to fix their schedules. My girl got signed up for a course she did not really want so she is working on her course change until Friday. Tomorrow, she’ll be out of the house early for her swimming practice. She belongs to her school’s swimming team.

On days like these, I have to make sure that the fridge is loaded. Kids tend to just opt to go hungry when there’s no ready food for them to grab. Last night, I cooked for lunch and dinner for tonight on top of our dinner last night. Sometimes it is just more practical to cook a ton of say spaghetti for the whole week but you get tired of it after 2 meals. If I do this, my kids would pretend to take their lunch to school only to hear a few weeks after or even days that they dumped it because they just had it.

This is when my slow cooker comes in handy. While baking something for dinner, I had the lunch being readied and the dinner for today being cooked in the slow cooker. You can’t beat that I guess.

Here’s my slow cooker Recipe. The taste has the resemblance to a sweet and sour meatballs. It’s as easy as 1-2-3.

What I put in my meatballs:

1.5 lbs. of lean ground beef
¼ cup of long grain rice
1 onion finely chopped
dash of pepper
5 tbsp of soy sauce
2 cloves of chopped garlic
1 egg
2 tbsp of flour
3 tbsp of olive oil
1 398 ml Del Monte crushed pineapple
1 cup water
590 ml. Tomato sauce

I mixed the first 8 ingredients together in a bowl and shaped them into meatballs. In a pan, heat the olive oil and cook the meatballs until brown. Throw them all into the slow cooker including the pineapple water and tomato sauce. Crank your cooker to high heat and cook it for 4 hours stirring occasionally. In my case, until my hubby got home. Add more water if it turns dry.

Serve with rice. I should say pack(for my husband) with rice and veggies.

No comments: